Savor the bounty of local, heirloom tomatoes and everything that goes with them.
Sliced tomatoes with fresh herbs on top of spicy arugula. Chopped tomatoes sautéed with garlic and shallots and tossed with pasta. Tomatoes blended into a smooth, sweet soup, and paired with grilled cheese.
Heirloom tomatoes – with names like Brandywine, Speckled Roman and Cherokee Purple – boast more eclectic shapes and colors than their modern counterparts and typically taste sweeter and more complex.
At the peak of local tomato season, try a wide selection of types of heirlooms from Ward’s Berry Farm in Sharon, available in the produce section at all Brothers Marketplace stores.
Before enjoying, keep tomatoes fresh by storing them at room temperature, on a plate and out of the sun.
Slice up heirlooms and layer with creamy, salty Brothers Marketplace handmade mozzarella in a colorful, homemade Caprese Salad. Visit our cheese shop for our own fresh mozzarella, or try Narragansett Creamery’s award winning luscious, cream-filled, handmade burrata. Fan the tomatoes on your plate, alternating with slices of cheese. Add leaves of fresh basil from Silverwood Farm in Sherborn. Drizzle with Brothers Marketplace Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena and Extra Virgin Olive Oil imported from Italy.
Pick up a few of your favorite ingredients from your local Brothers Marketplace and get creative in your own kitchen with these other great ways to enjoy heirlooms:
- Add slices into your Greek salad, with strips of grilled chicken and Narragansett Creamery Salty Sea Feta.
- Chop tomatoes finely and toss with a new, non-GMO Brothers Marketplace Dipping Oil, such as Herbs de Provence or Garlic Parmesan.
- Sauté some heirlooms that cook nicely, such as Speckled Roman. Add garlic, oregano and olive oil for a quick pasta sauce, or as a topping for grilled fish or bruschetta.
- Layer a few varieties into a napoleon with grilled vegetables for lunch with friends.
- Stuff Striped Cavern tomatoes with your favorite soft cheese and fresh herbs.